Roasted Chicken Empanadas
We had a super tender roast chicken the other day, however we normally have leftovers that usually end up in meatballs, salad, sandwich ingredient or maybe the best, empanada filling! Just ask my Mr 😉
The dough is the very same as this one, though I will paste the recipe here as well:
Roast Chicken Empanadas
Ingredients for the dough:
1/2 cup cold water
1 egg white
1 ts vinegar
3 cups flour
1 ts salt
3 tbsp shortening
1. Mix the water, egg, egg white and vinegar
2. In another bowl, mix the flour and salt
3. Cut the shortening/margarine into the flour mixture and mix it until it is incorporated (I do it with my hands)
4. Add the water-mix to the flour mix and work it into a nice dough
5. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for about an hour (I normally freeze half of the dough), use it within 24 hours.
6. After the fridge rest, on a floured surface roll out the dough to around 3 mm, and with the help of a cookie cutter (or a mug, cereal bowl, etc.), cut it into round shapes (don’t make them too small, they have to be filled!)
7. For the filling:
leftover roast chicken
a fistful of cocktail tomatoes
half mozzarella ball
salt, pepper, some milk and flour.
Chop the ingredients and fry the chicken, tomatoes, shallots, salt and pepper on a little olive oil in a pan. Add the chopped mozzarella, a little milk and a teaspoonful of flour – stir it and remove from heat when the cheese has melted.
8. Mount the filling on the dough disks (don’t put too much, you should be able to close them without the filling escaping)
9. Close the disks with the help of a fork or fingers
10. Beat an egg and brush it over the top of each little packet (you can sprinkle some oregano on top of it as well)
11. Bake the pockets in the oven at 180° until golden.