Valentine’s Day Apple Pie
I know I know it has been a few days, but at least this is not a recipe that “can only be done” on Valentine’s day. I have chosen to do an apple pie for my Mr because it is undoubtedly one of this favourites 😉
Grandma’s Pie Dough from Country Living
4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
1 tablespoon(s) sugar
1 3/4 cup(s) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon(s) white vinegar
1 (extra large) egg
1.Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
2.Whisk the vinegar, egg, and 1/2 cup of ice water together and mix into the flour mixture with your hands until just combined.
3.Transfer to a clean work surface, and gently press to form a dough. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Shape each into a ball, flatten slightly to form a disc, and wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 1 hour.
This amount will give you 4 single crusts, I made only half amount this time for the apple pie, however feel free to do more as it can be kept in the freezer – next time you only have to thaw, fill, bake, and eat! 🙂
Spiced Apple Filling
4-5 juicy apples
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (I got confused in the store and bought cloves instead, so why the hell not, I used that one, the pie still turned out great!)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar (I used brown)
1 tbsp flour
few dots of butter
1. On a floured surface, roll out the dough and place it in the pie pan, prick holes in the crust with a fork (this allows the steam to escape while it’s baking) and place it in the fridge while preparing the filling.
2. For the filling peel and cut the apples into small cubes, mix and toss with the spices, sugar and flour until well coated
3. Mount the apple mixture on the crust, top with a few dots of butter
4. Roll out the second crust, cut shapes of your liking in top of crust to vent (I made heart shapes for Vday this time).
5. Place the crust on top of the pie, and seal the edges of the crust with a fork or by hand.
8. Collect compliments from your loved ones!