Traditional Easter Braided Sweet Bread – 2
I love to try out new recipes but when I want to be sure the result is just as I expect I turn to the good old tried recipes. Thus, when my sister left for a trip and gave me the leftovers from her fridge – including a box of whipping cream – I knew immediately that it is time to make a nice and soft, classic braided bread. With a twist😉
Traditional Easter Braided Sweet Bread
7g instant dried yeast
1 sachet vanilla sugar
pinch of salt
250ml whipping cream
2 eggs + 1 white
1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp of milk for brushing and a handful of sliced almonds to decorate
1. Mix flour and yeast and pour everything in the bowl of a stand mixer. Knead for about 5-7 minutes (or knead with your hands as I do:)).
2. Form a ball and let the dough rise for 1 hour.
3. Now the fun part, do the braid! I found nice step-by-step instructions for this here:
I made a simple braid with 3 strings now and joined the 2 ends to form a nice ‘nest’. You can place a colored egg in the middle for a fancy Easter centerpiece.
4. Transfer to a baking pan (lined with baking sheet) and let it rise for about 30 mins more.
5. Brush the braid with the mixture of the egg yolk and 1 tbsp milk, and sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
6. Place the bread in pre-heated oven and bake for about 35-40 mins at 190°C, or until golden brown.