Empanada Gallega or Rather: Tuna Pie :D
I have to admit this is not how I planned this dish. After finding this great step-by-step recipe, for some reasons I decided that a pie pan would be good for this – well, my suggestion is, use a nice big pan or half the recipe, because in my version, the amount of dough was overwhelming, pushing into the background the wonderful tuna filling. In fact, it was still delicious, and we still ate it all! 😀 I made just a small adjustment to the filling from the original recipe, adding boiled eggs and olives for a little extra flavor.
25g fresh yeast
160ml tepid water
50ml white vine (I skipped it)
350g canned tuna
1-2 boiled eggs, mashed
4 tbsp (fried) tomato sauce
handful of chopped olives
pinch of salt
sweet paprika powder
1. For the filling: sauté the peeled and minced onions on a little olive oil until transparent. Add a tbsp of sweet paprika powder, tomato sauce, eggs, olives and tuna. Mix well. Remove from the fire and remove the excess oil. Put it aside.
2. For the dough: in a big bowl, add the flour, salt and vine. Mix the water with the yeast, and after about 10 minutes add it to the flour. Add also the excess oil that you reserved from the filling. Mix it all together and knead (by machine or hand). Cover and let rest until doubles in size.
3. Knead the dough just a minute more and separate into two pieces, one just a little bit bigger than the other. Roll out the bigger dough and place it on the greased pan. Then comes the filling, mount it on top of the dough and spread it out, leaving the last cm of the dough free. Roll out the second piece of dough and place it on top of the filling, cutting off the excess and closing well the 2 pieces of dough so as not to let the filling escape. You can use the excess dough to decorate the pie.
4. Beat the egg and brush the pie with it. With the help of a fork or knife, punch a few little holes in the dough thus the pie will be able to breathe while it is in the oven.
5. Place the pie in the oven that has been pre-heated to 200°C/390°F, lower the temperature to 180°C/360°F and bake until golden (about 30-40 minutes). When ready, you can brush the top of your pie with a little olive oil.