Gingerbread Cookies with Sugar Frosting
Well I know this is not exactly gingerbread time anymore, but I made these cuties before Christmas for my colleagues and family and I dare to say it had a big success, so why not share it? You can always find a good reason to bake some gingerbread cookies, they will always make your kitchen smell like Christmas!
600g white flour
2 tbsp gingerbread spice mix (or do your own:))
1 teaspoonful of baking soda
2 egg whites (1 for brushing)
1. Mix the sugar, spice mix, baking soda and 500g flour
2. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the 100g flour
3. Here you may need to add the rest of the flour, depending on the dough – to be able to knead it well into a ball
4. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for at least a night.
5. Roll out the dough, cut it to the desired shapes and brush them with an egg white.
6. Pre-heat the oven (low heat), and place the gingerbread inside on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Depending on the thickness they are done fast, take care not to burn them!
8. Let the cookies cool, and decorate to your liking (beat 1 egg white with 150g sugar for frosting, or if you can never obtain a thick mixture like me: get a ready to use frosting, I used a Dr. Oetker one this year again, this time my fingers were not crippled – it is not the easiest ever to decorate with, but it tasted great).