Potaje de Lentejas
I gave this dish a nice sounding Spanish name, because I converted another Spanish recipe (potaje de garbanzos, “chickpea soup”) to this lentil recipe, I will post the chickpeas one in the future as well because that is also an amazing comfort meal for cold winter nights. But this time I had to find a recipe for lentils for the New Year, because traditionally in Hungary you should eat lentils and pork to have a fortunate and rich year!
Happy 2012 everyone 🙂
Potaje de Lentejas or Lentil Soup
2-3 fistful of dry lentils (soaked in water the previous night)
salt, pepper, paprika to taste
(feel free to adjust the amount of carrots, potatoes, sausages to your liking. We like these potaje-s well loaded :))
1. Sauté the onions in a spoonful of olive oil
2. Add the chopped paprika and tomato pieces, cook for a few minutes
3. Add the lentils and paprika powder, mix it a couple of times
4. Add water that will be enough to cover also the potatoes, carrots and sausages
5. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let it cook for around half an hour
6. Cut the potatoes and carrots in chunks and add it to the soup
7. Add salt and pepper to taste, and let it cook for around 30 minutes more (lentils should be soft.)
8. Add the sausages and cook for a couple of minutes more until the veggies are nice and tender (adjust the cooking time if you like them more crunchy).