Giant empanada puff pastry
Let me start by sharing with you how these kind of recipes are born. Happened to me that I walked by a big bunch of puff pastry in the grocery store one morning – the fresh type! So few times I actually see this gem that I had to buy one and then had to figure out what to do with it. Got some help from my Mr when he told me that he did not eat the leftover chicken soup from the other day, also arriving home I found a few small pieces of pork medallions waiting to be used. I put my head in the fridge and found a few more ingredients for my leftover experiment with the puff pastry.
Giant empanada puff pastry or the “Leftover Royale”
Ingredients (that I used this time, feel free to replace anything as you desire or as your fridge allows):
3/4 puff pastry (1/4 I wanted to save for a pair of small cinnamon croissants in the morning)
a couple of pork medallions
carrots (cooked, courtesy of the other day’s chicken soup)
a half zucchini
some chicken bits (cooked, also from the chicken soup)
1 tomato (I had a 3/4, the other 1/4 was used by my Mr for his morning sandwich)
Salt and pepper
An egg and some sesame seeds for sprinkling the top
1. In a pan, fry the onion, add the pork medallions and zucchini cubes
2. Add the chicken bits, tomato and carrots
3. Add salt and pepper to taste
4. Unroll the puff pastry and mount the filling on top of it (place it so you can close it)
5. Close the puff pastry and seal the edges
6. Brush the top with a beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds
7. Place the puff pastry pocket in the pre-heated oven and bake until golden brown at around 200°C.
This amount was perfect for 2 persons. Very yummy!!