We LOVE cocoa (or chocolate) rolls. Store-bought, home-made, perfect snack for both me and my Mr However as an enthusiastic baker, I prefer the home-made versions, that’s why I was over the Moon when I found a recipe that is really simple and works! These can be frozen and re-heated as well, however we never needed to do such thing so far I halved the amount of all the ingredients from the original recipe.
Sweet and Soft Cocoa Rolls
200ml lukewarm milk
1/2 pack (3.5g) dry yeast
1 egg yolk
25g melted butter
sweetened cocoa powder (like Nesquik) or feel free to mix unsweetened cocoa powder with sugar to your taste
pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp sugar
1. Warm up the flour in the microwave oven
2. Make a hole in the middle of the flour, fill it with 50ml lukewarm milk, 1/2 tbsp sugar and the yeast. Mix these 3 and wait until it becomes frothy.
3. Add the rest of the milk, the egg yolk, half of the butter and salt.
4. Knead the dough for about 10-15 minutes
5. Cover the dough ball and let it rise in a warm place for around an hour
6. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to around 1 cm thick square shape
7. Brush with the rest of the butter, sprinkle with the cocoa mix (don’t be shy!:))
8. Roll it up tightly and cut into pieces (around 2cm thick)
9. Line a pan with baking paper and place the rolls on it (not too close – they will rise!) –> at this point you can let them rise again for a while on a warm place: the best rolls I have ever made were rising in the trunk of our car for about 1 hour on a very hot day in the summer.
10. Place the pan in cold oven, turn it on to 180°C and bake the rolls until golden.
Enjoy while hot! : ))